Check out our alpacas

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Futurity

The Futurity Show and Sale was this weekend. I have a special place in my heart for this show. It was the second show that we ever attended and the first auction. We came THIS close last year to buying a silver herdsire. We haven't actually ever bought from an auction. But I can't wait until we do. I almost bought a day at Huacaya farm last year while waiving our mentor over to our table at Nationals last year. That would have been a costly mistake.

The sale was much better than last year. The highest selling alpaca was a Suri (yea!!) owned by Wilkins Livestock. She went for $70,000. That's right my friends! You too may be able to breed a female that goes for the big bucks. I sure hope we do someday. We just bought a herdsire from Wilkins. He is beautiful and a bargain at only 5% of that price. I'll take it.

The Futurity determines the Light and Dark Herdsires of the year. The rules changed this year (seemingly for the better) and I can't wait to see the results. I am not sure why I love this show, but I do. One day we will have a herdsire in the running and that will be exciting. It is more than a few years away, but I can dream!

High Selling Suri

1 comment: